Australian couple to divorce if marriage equality becomes law because God, will break the 9th Commandment to do so
An Australian couple in Canberra recently penned an op-ed for the Canberra CityNews saying that, if the Australian government decides to recognize same-sex marriages, they will get a divorce. It’s not because they don’t love each. They do. They were high school sweethearts who have been married for 10 years. It’s not that. It’s that, if same-sex couples can get married then their marriage means nothing.
Republican State House Rep. Todd Courser: Supports anti-Vaxers, lies about non-existent vaccine-autism connection
It’s a shocking and depressing fact that there are uneducated people out there who are afraid of vaccinations because they read somewhere or heard from someone that one time that vaccinations cause autism.
But that didn’t stop Republican Todd Courser from expressing his support for the anti-Vaxer community and to reinforce people’s unfounded and unscientific fears about the non-existent autism/vaccination connection on his Facebook page
This man is an elected state Representative. It’s one thing to use fearmongering against your political opponents to get people to vote for you or support your positions. It’s entirely another thing to use outright lies, provable lies, lies that can cause real harm not just to individuals but to our communities, as well.…
A couple of weeks ago, Eclectablog team member Charles Gaba – publisher of the internationally-recognized ACASignUps.net – busted Michigan State Senator Patrick Colbeck for spewing lies about the Affordable Care Act. Charles found no less than seven clear factual errors in Colbeck’s op-ed in The Detroit News.
Here are a few of the more egregious items:
- He claimed that the ACA is costing $1.35 trillion per year. It’s actually priced at less than 1/10th that price ($120 billion per year).
- He claimed that the ACA is “still leaving 36 million people” without insurance, while failing to acknowledge that 4 million of those are stuck in the Medicaid Gap created by Republican-run states, while another 6.3 million are undocumented immigrants who aren’t legally eligible for coverage under the law.
If you’re on Governor Snyder’s email list you recently received his most recent glitter bomb of self-congratulation. In it he points out that Michigan’s unemployment rate has dropped by half from 11.2% in December, 2011, but offers no reasons for this drop. It’s reasonable to assume the drop is primarily related to the increase in auto sales along with the national economy moving at a less sluggish pace. Is this because of GOP policies or Obama’s? If Snyder’s own policies explained any good news he would be touting something specific about that decline in unemployment, something like that mass migration of businesses to Michigan once Right to Work legislation was passed.…
I apologize for the lack of new posts this past week. My family is dealing with an ongoing medical crisis with my father and I have not had time to write. Regular posting will resume when the crisis is resolved.
Last week, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder unveiled his new budget. According to his spin on the budget, per-pupil funding will be increased by $75 per student. At the time, Democratic Representative Brandon Dillon noted that this so-called “increase” would be more than offset by cuts to schools in other areas:
Gov. Snyder proves his rhetoric on Michigan’s Emergency Manager law was lies, will appoint new EM for Detroit schools
When Governor Rick Snyder was asked about overturning the will of Michigan voters when he signed new Emergency Manager legislation into law a few short weeks after voters voted it down in 2012, he defended the move with this comment:
Senate Democrats, in a very weird bid to help Democrat Mary Landrieu’s reelection bid, allowed a vote on the mythologized Keystone XL pipeline yesterday. It failed by one vote.
And that’s a very Good Thing.
As I have written about before, the much-touted job creation promised by the pipeline’s ignorant or lying proponents, is wildly inflated:
Democracy denied: Flint Emergency Manager appointing City Council members instead of holding elections
Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley is using his powers as a state-appointed overseer of the city to appoint two outgoing City Council members rather than permitting a special election as the City’s rules require:
Earley said in a news release today, Nov. 13, that he will accept letters of interest, resumes, and references from residents interested in the 3rd and 6th Ward vacancies. […]
Council members have said the state emergency manager law gives Earley the authority to make the council appointments but suggested he allow the council to do so as a part of Flint’s transition to home rule.…
According to Dictionary.com, hatred is defined in this way: verb (used without object), hated, hating. To feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility.
It is my firm belief that as a society we use the word hate too casually. I offer this preamble to my last shot at motivating you to vote, act, and make sure others vote tomorrow, but there is a twist to my message today and I am asking you to stay with me as I work though my rationale behind what I am about to ask of all of you, but it starts with something that I do hate.…
Buy us a beer?
Amazon.com shopping here:
LOLGOP on Twitter
- After only several weeks, Republicans are rising up to politely disagree with the characterization of immigrants as rapists! #blessed about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Confederacy is celebrated. but we've forgotten the Michiganders who saved Adam Crosswhite from slave catchers. http://t.co/yuhBvMFrwr about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HaroldItz: For Jim Carrey and his ilk, here’s a piece I wrote about a superb documentary on the horrors before the polio vaccine http:/… about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @DaveHolmes: A week into the age of Marriage Equality, I have a few thoughts (plus an idea you might like). http://t.co/ekL6tyBZlK via @… about 3 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Very upsetting to fans to Pickett's Charge. https://t.co/vSWn3mAEpS about 3 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite