It’s because they ARE millionaires. Here’s a tribute to the Michigan millionaires against the millionaires tax, put out by The Agenda Project’s Patriotic Millionaires:
Here is their powerful national ad:
- 48 percent of Congress members are millionaires while only 1 percent of all Americans are millionaires
- 55 members of Congress have an average wealth of $10 million and 8 members have an average wealth of $100+ million
- During the worst part of the recession 2008-2009, the median wealth of a congressional member rose $125K
- The median wealth of a House member is $700,000+, while the median wealth for a senator was over $2 million
- 5 of the 6 Republican members of the new Super Committee for the Budget are millionaires.
136 members of Congress who are millionaires have voiced opposition to President Obama’s Buffett Rule (list HERE – pdf.)