The fun never ceases in Michigan these days, does it? What now?
This: Republicans in the state House have introduced legislation to fine striking teachers and even revoke their licenses.
State Rep. Bill Rogers, R-Genoa Township, on Tuesday introduced legislation creating penalties for public schoolteachers and the Michigan Education Association for inciting or participating in strikes.
House Bill 4466 would fine the Michigan Education Association $5,000 per teacher for each full or partial day public school employees are engaged in a strike or “strike-like activities.”
The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Paul Scott, R-Grand Blanc, also would require school employees to pay a fine equal to one day of pay for every day or partial day they participate in a strike.
House Bill 4465, sponsored by Rogers, would require district superintendents to suspend or revoke teachers’ licenses if teachers are caught breaking existing strike laws.
The Republican assault on public workers and unions continues unabated while the Democrats are relegated to standing on the sidelines ineffectively yelling “STOP!” because:
- Republicans in Michigan control the Governor’s office
- Republicans in Michigan control the Secretary of State’s office
- Republicans in Michigan control the Attorney General’s office
- Republicans in Michigan control the House.
- Republicans in Michigan control the Senate.
- Republicans in Michigan control the Supreme Court.
It’s going to be a very long 3½ years.
I’m just sayin’…