Here in Michigan, we have a quirky bunch of messed up gun laws that allow people with concealed pistol licenses carry guns in schools. Because of the loophole, they can only do so if they open carry where everyone can see it.
For me, it’s tantamount to having “I’m stoopid” tattooed across your forehead and anyone who open carries in schools does so knowing full well they are going to create a disturbance. They know this. It’s intentional on their part. Because anyone with two brain cells to smack together knows that if you see someone with a gun in a school, chances are they are a nut who is going to take some people out. And, if they aren’t, they have such poor judgement that they shouldn’t be trusted with a gun in the first place. This is a school we’re talking about!
But the NRA has done one hell of a job convincing their members that any restriction whatsoever is an abridgment of their Second Amendment right to be a one-person militia.
However, in what can only be seen as a superfreighter full of hypocrisy, the NRA’s National Convention in Nashville, Tennessee next week will be a gun-free zone. Oh, don’t worry, they’ll have guns there. “9 acres” worth, according to their ads. It’s just that they can’t be guns that can actually fire a round of ammunition:
A multilevel security plan went into works not long after Nashville was chosen as the convention destination. All guns on the convention floor will be nonoperational, with the firing pins removed, and any guns purchased during the NRA convention will have to be picked up at a Federal Firearms License dealer, near where the purchaser lives, and will require a legal identification.
I can’t understand what they are afraid of. According to every bit of propaganda we’ve gotten from the NRA over the past decade, if one gun is good, lots of guns is better. And you’re never safer than when you are surrounded by people carrying loaded weapons. The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. To hear the NRA tell it, that would be nine of the safest acres of ground on the planet!
Like I said: hypocrisy.
In case you were wondering, here is the list of places you can open carry if you have a concealed pistol license:
- A depository financial institution such as a bank or credit union
- A church or other place of worship
- Any property or facility owned or operated by a church or religious organization unless authorized by the presiding official
- A court
- A theater
- A sports arena or stadiums
- A daycare center
- A hospital
- An establishment licensed under the liquor control code.
- School or school property unless it’s a parent or legal guardian dropping off or picking up a child and the pistol is kept in the vehicle
- Public or private daycares
- A bar or tavern where sales and consumption of liquor by the glass in the primary source of income
- An entertainment facility with seating for 2,500 or more
- A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college or university
- A casino
Note, you can’t carry your weapon concealed in these places, you may only open carry and only if you have a concealed pistol license because … well, because we’re Michigan and the Republicans do not DARE to fix this screwed up situation with our gun laws.