Detroit — April 29, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Father of black Detroit youth shot by ICE agent: “They brought my son down the stairs and executed him in my face”


On Monday of this week U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Officer Mitchell Quinn shot and killed 20-year old Detroiter Terrance Kellom. The killing took place during a raid conducted by a multi-jurisdictional task force with Detroit police called the Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team to serve an arrest warrant on Kellom who had violated his parole. The warrant was issued after he fled last August while on probation for a 2010 concealed weapons violation. He was also wanted on a four-count warrant as a suspect in the armed robbery of a pizza driver and has a long history of run-ins with law enforcement.

Police say they went to Kellom’s home, presented an arrest warrant and were let in by his father Kevin. Inside, they say, they found Kellom brandishing a hammer and Quinn, who is also black, shot and killed him.

Kevin Kellom tells a far different story. “They brought my son down the stairs and executed him in my face,” he said today during his first public comments. “My son died with a clenched fist, no hammer. My son reached for me and was shot twice in the chest. [After that], eight more shots rang out.”

Kellom’s father also claims he never saw an arrest warrant until he returned from the hospital where his son was pronounced dead. When he arrived at his home, he found an arrest warrant left by police and time-stamped three hours after his son was shot to death.

Sorta makes you wonder why they even have tasers doesn’t it?

According to the Detroit Free Press, Quinn has been sequestered under federal guidelines and cannot be questioned by Detroit police until Friday. In 2008 he was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon after pointing a department-issued gun at his now ex-wife’s head.

Quinn’s ex-wife complained that her husband pointed his department-issued weapon at her head during a fight about emails, according to minutes of the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners.

“When (she) attempted to make a 911 call on her cellular phone, Officer Mitchell Quinn grabbed her phone and broke it,” according to meeting minutes. “Later, Officer Mitchell Quinn then threw his gun against the wall.”

Quinn, a decorated, 12-year Detroit police veteran, was suspended and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearm, according to 36th District Court records.

Charges were dismissed in March 2008. Six months later, in September 2008, Quinn joined ICE and was assigned to the Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team.

A group of 200-300 protesters marched in Detroit last night to demand justice.

[Photo credit: Michigan United]