Just a reminder that this afternoon, starting at 4:00 p.m., there will be a protest march on the Ann Arbor-area home of Governor Rick Snyder. Word has it that, in addition to scheduled speakers, the Reverends Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson are also in town for the event. Here are the details from my original post that also had an interview with Pastor David Bullock.
Monday’s “Occupy for Democracy” march on Governor Snyder’s home begins at 4 p.m. People are being asked to park at Washtenaw Community College at 4800 East Huron Drive. You can then walk the short distance to the rally point or take a shuttle. The Washtenaw County Sheriff Department is cooperating and will be on hand to reroute traffic on Geddes Road and to provide public safety services. There will also be rally marshals assisting rally goers and resolving any issues that may arise. Organizers are adamant that this is a peaceful demonstration.
Speakers at the “Occupy for Democracy” rally will include:
- Pastor David Bullock, President of Rainbow PUSH Coalition and Highland Park NAACP
- Pastor Van Cedric Williams, Ypsilanti Second Baptist Church and president of the Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor and Vicinity Ministerial Alliance
- Michael Owens, president of the Council Of Baptist Pastors Of Detroit And Vicinity
- Brandon Jessup, president & CEO of Michigan Forward
- Reverend Edward Pinkney, Benton Harbor
- Representative from the Washtenaw Community Action Team
- Representative from United Autoworkers (UAW)
Shuttles from various parts of the state like Detroit, Benton Harbor, Inkster, Highland Park, Muskegon and Flint will be available. For information on the shuttle buses, check out their Facebook page.
For more updates and further details about the event, visit the Rainbow PUSH Detroit Facebook page. If you have further questions, call 313-303-8002.
Finally, here’s a YouTube video to share: