Next Monday, October 31, 2011 (Halloween!), Congressman Eric Cantor will be giving a speech on the Campus of the University of Michigan. When he arrives, he will be greeted by a multitude of protesters angry with his obstructionism and his anti-Middle Class agenda.
Dear Fellow Graduate Student or University or Michigan faculty member,
After previously canceling a public appearance at the University of Pennsylvania because he was unwilling to face public criticism over his destructive votes on economic and social policy, U.S. Congressman Eric Cantor is now scheduled to speak at the Ford School of Policy on Monday, October 31st at 1:00 PM.
The Washtenaw County Community Action Team and unaffiliated graduate student organizers invite you to join us as we plan to protest Congressman Eric Cantor’s presence on campus as he works to erode the social safety net and attack middle class and working families.
There is a planning meeting for the protest this Wednesday at 6:00 PM at the Graduate Employees Organization office, 330 E. Liberty, Suite 3F.
How bad is Eric Cantor for Michigan’s and the Nation’s working and middle class families? Check out an excerpt of his voting record:
- Voted “No” on $192 billion additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (July 2009)
- Voted “No” on modifying bankruptcy rules to avoid mortgage foreclosures. (March 2009)
- Voted “No” on additional $825 billion for economic recovery package. (January 2009)
- Voted “No” on monitoring TARP funds to ensure mortgage relief. (January 2009)
- Voted “No” on regulating the subprime mortgage industry. (November 2007)
- Voted “No” on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (November 2007)
- Voted “No” on letting shareholders vote on executive compensation. (July 2009)
- Voted “No” on protecting whistleblowers from employer recrimination. (March 2007)
- Voted “No” on expanding the Children’s Health Insurance Program. (January 2009)
- Voted “No” on restricting employer interference in union organizing. (March 2007)
- Voted “No” on increasing the minimum wage to $7.25. (January 2007)
Want to know what kind of enemy Eric Cantor is to women’s rights, immigrant’s rights, reproductive rights, energy policy, civil rights and maintaining the separation of church and state? Just follow the link.
Please stand and organize with us as we move to express publicly our rage at Eric Cantor’s continued service to his corporate donors over the interests of families and individuals in Michigan and across the country.
A planning meeting for the protest this Wednesday at 6:00 PM at the Graduate Employees Organization office, 330 E. Liberty, Suite 3F.
ALL ARE WELCOME. ALL ARE NEEDED. REPRESENT YOUR COMMUNITY.
Masters of Urban Planning 2012 || University of Michigan
Urban Planning Student Association – Curriculum Chair
If you are available, please plan to help with the protest. Here are the details of his visit where the protest will be:
Monday, October 31, 2011
1:00 PM – 2:15 PM
Michigan League, Ballroom
911 North University Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Free and open to the public. Reception to follow.
You can follow the protest at the Twitter hashtag #fordschoolcantor. A Facebook page for the protest has been set up HERE. I’ll have more details as the become available.
UPDATE: I understand there will be, not surprisingly, a Halloween theme to the protest along with a coffin representing “the death of the middle class”. They are really looking for folks to attend the planning meeting tomorrow night so go lend your voice if you can. If not, show up as your favorite Republican monster or something. Zombie Ronald Reagan maybe?