After going to the Michigan Supreme Court well for a third time, GOP Representative Paul Scott has been smacked down a third and final time. The Supreme Court ruled today that Paul Scott’s recall WILL go forward.
The Michigan Supreme Court says it will not stop or postpone a recall election targeting a state lawmaker. Today’s decision clears the way for the November 8 vote.
Republican Paul Scott (R-Grand Blanc) has spent much of the past month trying to convince the courts to stop next month’s recall election.
With less than 2 weeks to go before the November 8 vote, the Michigan Supreme Court appears to have had the final word on Scott’s request and that word is ‘no’.
It’s nice to know that, as I predicted earlier this week, the Supreme Court will not allow this anti-teacher, anti-union Republican to use his wealth and army of lawyers to subvert the constitutionally-protected right of his Michigan constituents to recall him if they feel he mislead them. Which he has.
It’s also nice to know that the intervention of our Republican Governor and our Republican Attorney General into a court case that was none of their damned business did not sway the justices from being fair.
Strike three, Mr. Scott. You, sir, are out.
Meanwhile, Michelle Rhee and her misnamed “StudentsFirst” and anti-teacher/anti-union organization are spending scads of money to defend Scott.
The national education reform group Students First — headed by
former Washington, D.C., Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee — has donated heavily to help Rep. Paul Scott avoid a recall effort.
Campaign finance reports released today show the group’s Michigan political action committee spent $13,591 to support Scott. A source familiar with the expenditures said the groups total to date for supporting Scott is roughly $70,000.