I’ll say right off the bat that I absolutely hate the term “professional left”. But it will suffice as a descriptor for those on the liberal side of the coin that seem to be able to find pretty much nothing about the Obama administration that they can approve of.
And when they don’t have anything to get upset about, that’s no problem. They just invent something. Here’s the playbook for your reference:
- Read the day’s headlines.
- Determine a spin that characterizes the President and his administration in the worst possible light.
- If such a spin does not exist, postulate what the President and his administration’s response will be. Make sure that it is as negative as possible, even if it contradicts his past behavior.
- Write endless blogs on how the President has once again sold his “base” down the river and kicked hippies in the teeth (after punching them, of course.) It is not necessary for him to actually have done this. Your prediction that he WILL do this is sufficient.
- When what you predicted turns out to be quite wrong, ignore that and focus on the next day’s news item. No point in issuing a mea culpa. Just raise a fuss about something new and nobody will notice.
- Lather, rinse and repeat.
This has been the way it’s done for nigh on two years now and this week is no exception.
Now that we have the details of last Friday’s budget compromise, and now that we know that President Obama clearly out-played the Republicans in every aspect, will the very serious media and the pants-pissing Professional Left apologize or walk-back their narrative of cave-in and capitulation?
I wouldn’t count on it, even though it’s painfully obvious that a narrative was chosen to run with before anyone actually knew what was included in the bill. I myself am guilty of this. I conceded that this bill, which cuts $38.5 billion dollars in spending, would be bad news for the economy. It turns out though that we were all wrong, because the vast majority of the cuts are steeped in fiscal hijinks.
If I had written a diary on Daily Kos predicting this, I would have had a comments section full of nastygrams and claims that I was “clapping louder” and “cheerleading” for the President. But here’s the thing: I have castigated liberals for their preemptive whinging countless times in the past only to have been proven 100% correct when what they went apeshit about something that never ended up happening. But nary a single mea culpa was ever forthcoming. They simply moved on to the the next thing to get upset about before it happened and never looked back. Lather, rinse, repeat.
It gets so damn exhausting having to fight both conservatives AND liberals sometimes, I must say.
I’m just sayin’…
P.S. Whinge is a British term that means “to complain fretfully”.