The show notes for Episode 86 are at http://www.eclectablog.com/2018/06/episode-86-the-purge-has-begun-with-special-guest-ari-berman.html
Ari Berman on Twitter: @AriBerman
Ari Berman at Mother Jones: ACLU Sues Trump Over Census: “A Naked Act of Intentional Discrimination”
Ari Berman at Mother Jones: North Carolina Republicans Want a Constitutional Amendment to Require ID to Vote
Ari Berman at Mother Jones: Republicans Want to Use the Census to Radically Change Political Representation
Ari Berman at Mother Jones: The Supreme Court Is Helping Republicans Kill a Key Voting Rights Law
Ari Berman at Mother Jones: We Now Know Why Steve Bannon and Kris Kobach Lobbied for a Citizenship Question on the Census
Ari Berman at Mother Jones: Wisconsin Democrats Win Election That Scott Walker Tried to Keep From Happening
25 GREAT ideas for Democrats from Bruce Bartlett:
I remember Newt Gingrich once explaining that the GOP strategy was to take issues on which most Americans already agreed with the party & beat them to death. I think this was a good idea that Democrats could also embrace. Following is a list of good Democratic issues in no order.
— Bruce Bartlett (@BruceBartlett) June 16, 2018
- End gerrymandering.
- Raise taxes on the wealthy.
- Limit campaign spending.
- Constitutional amendment to outlaw Citizens United decision.
- Make voting easier with automatic registration and early voting.
- Support gun control.
- Protect the environment & take concrete actions against global warming.
- Allow felons to vote if they have served their full sentence.
- End or restrict payday lending.
- Spend more money on public works.
- Support DACA.
- Fix student debt problem.
- Prioritize production of alternative energy such as solar over fossil fuels such as coal.
- Fight corruption by the president, Congress and government officials.
- Oppose foreign government interference in US elections.
- Force presidents to release their tax returns.
- Guaranteed government job for all who want one.
- Increase regulation of tech companies & social media to protect privacy.
- Raise pay for teachers.
- Legalize marijuana.
- Oppose tariffs & trade protectionism.
- Support paid family & medical leaver for workers.
- Support labor unions.
- Support prison reform.
- Single-payer health insurance for all.
Rogue elements within the FBI actually did collude to swing the 2016 – FOR Donald Trump.
Moreover, expert analysis suggests that those official decisions, which the AG tells us was prompted by what the FBI Director described as the “deep and visceral hatred” of one candidate by senior FBI employees, swung the election to the other candidate. https://t.co/XuUh0eAAXO
— southpaw (@nycsouthpaw) June 16, 2018
In light of IG's failure to look at leaking/anti-Clinton bias among agents in NYC field office, this seems quite relevant. Nunes says "good FBI agents" told him about Weiner laptop in late September 2016. pic.twitter.com/BU6ysY7Xwn
— Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) June 15, 2018
The Shrugly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:
Goodbye Sit and Spin Room, hello GOTMFV Show!
Steve Carmody at Michigan Radio: Lawsuit filed in dispute between two Flint water crisis researchers
Koch brothers corporatist front group and State Policy Network affiliate Mackinac Center press release: Mackinac Center and Virginia Tech Professor Dr. Marc Edwards Sue Wayne State Over Flint Water Documents
Chad Livengood at Crain’s Detroit Business: Dr. Mona’s new book tells how tide turned on state in Flint water crisisds
Give us a five-star review at iTunes!
The Sit and Spin Room Facebook page is HERE!
The Sit and Spin Room logo by Anne C. Savage.
Creative Commons podcast graphic image credit (with text modification): Rebecca Selah via Flickr.
Intro music: Zoolookologie by Jean-Michel Jarre
Do I Wanna Know? by The Arctic Monkeys
Leaving LA by Father John Misty
Unclaimed by Mike Wagner/Total Strangers
Outro music: Complain (from the movie Bob Roberts) by David Robbins & Tim Robbins