by starting your shopping here. Just click this link!
Abolishing corporate personhood and getting money out of elections is a principle, not an "issue"The national organization/movement Move to Amend is working to amend the U.S. constitution to abolish corporate personhood that gives corporations constitutionally-protected civil liberties and to get money out of elections by ensuring that money is no longer viewed as constitutionally-protected speech. David Cobb is one of the chief spokespersons for the Move to Amend effort and currently on a national speaking tour that stops in Michigan this week. Details about the Michigan leg of David Cobb's trip (including information on his presentation THIS FRIDAY IN ANN ARBOR) and my interview with him after the jump.
The conservative plot against America
It’s a scene that will go down in American history.
On the night of President Obama’s inauguration—in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Hoover Administration—leaders of an extremist sect of the GOP met with one goal: destroying the Obama presidency.
Messaging guru Frank Luntz, journalist Fred Barnes and philanderer/historian Newt Gingrich were there along with elected officials including Jim DeMint, Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy. Michael Tomasky explains:
Make no mistake: Their strategy was to make sure there would be no economic recovery, no jobs and no hope for millions of Americans.…
UPDATED: Mich Elections Board cancels next week’s meeting preventing decision on PA4 & collective bargaining referendums, GOP member has resigned
Desperation breeds desperate behavior
The Michigan Board of State Canvassers has cancelled a meeting scheduled for next Tuesday, June 26th. I confirmed this with a phone call to the Elections Bureau this afternoon. Additionally, Republican Board member Jeff Timmer is rumored to have resigned and it is believed that the other Republican, Norm Shinkle, will resign as well, leaving the Board without a quorum. I have been unable to confirm Timmer’s resignation but I have heard about it from multiple sources.
Without a quorum, the Board will be unable to certify ANY of the referendums headed for the ballot in November.…
SAVE THE DATE: Move To Amend’s David Cobb, champion of ending corporate personhood, in Ann Arbor, 6/29/2012
Corporations are not people, money is not speechA coalition of people in the Ann Arbor area are putting together a working group to join the national push to repeal the corrupting Citizens United Supreme Court ruling. The nearly unlimited amount of corporate money flooding into our electoral process is already having a corrosive impact on our democracy. On Friday, June 29th, this group is bringing David Cobb from Move To Amend to Ann Arbor to speak about this issue and what can be done about it. Details after the jump.
Maybe you'd be better off just shutting up, MittMitt Romney responded today to the well-researched Washington Post article that described how Bain Capital was an investor/owner of companies that were "pioneers in the practice of shipping work from the United States...overseas". I'm not sure that it helped.
Anti-Democracy group asks Republican Sec. of State to throw out Protect Our Jobs citizens’ referendum
When you don't have the votes, you cheatAn anti-democracy group ironically called Citizens Protecting Michigan's Constitution is asking Republican Secretary of State Ruth Johnson to throw away the petitions containing nearly 700,000 signatures to keep the Protect Our Jobs referendum off the November ballot, saying: "We believe that you have a clear legal duty to reject the filed petition and to refuse to further process it, canvass the signatures or to refer the petition to the Board of State Canvassers for certification to the ballot."
Buy us a beer?
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @cafedotcom: How would the media treat Rosa Parks if she refused to give up her bus seat today? https://t.co/9yP7qCKTM3 about 6 minutes ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Now I have a hint of what it would have been like to watch the Nazis "fact check" their claims about Jews over Twitter. about 26 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Trump's "maniacs online also believe the dumb thing I believe" fact check proves that he would be the first Internet Commenter President. about 30 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's too bad Trump is in this race because it would be fun to hear the establishment making all the same dire warnings about Ted Cruz. about 35 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @standupkid: Colorado lawmaker suggests Planned Parenthood to blame for CO Springs attack. "Violence is never the answer, but..." https:… about 45 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite