Oh, my. Who could ever have thought that Republican members of Congress would turn out to be hypocrites about earmarks?
BREAKING: Senate Comm. passes bill to create Emergency Manager transition team, Roger Fraser a no-show in Detroit
Today the Michigan Senate Government Operations passed an S-1 substitute bill to SB 0865 on to the full Senate. The bill creates a transition team that will be assigned to municipalities and school districts under the control of an Emergency Manager.
From the Senate summary:
- Authorize the Governor to remove the local government from receivership or appoint a receivership transition advisory board, if the local government’s financial emergency had been rectified.
Since his election last year, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has played the good cop/bad cop game to perfection. While he stays above the fray and issues calming and non-threatening platitudes, his Republican colleagues in the legislature enact a conservative agenda with a rapidity that Democrats can only marvel at. Time and time again, Snyder has talked about how a particular piece of legislation or how a particular issue is “not on his agenda” only to sign that legislation shortly thereafter when the Republican-dominated legislature sends it to him.
241 bills signed into law (pdf) as of this week and only one veto.…
Howzabout a little Monday Morning Meta?
So, you may have noticed a couple of new ads on Eclectablog this past week. The first one over there on the left is for an Ann Arbor-area electrician, Dan Del Zoppo. Up there at the top is one for We Are The People Michigan. These two ads have something in common: they were purchased directly through me rather than a separate ad distribution company.
Why is this important? Well, first of all, it means that I get 100% of the revenue which is nice for me. But, better yet, these are ads that are targeted toward my audience.…
I’ve been to two Netroots Nation conferences so far and, wow, what a rush. But, there is one thing about it that bothers me and I am not the only one: it’s pretty much all white people.
Seriously. We are a lily white group of progressive conference attendees.
There is an effort afoot to help fix that and without spending a dime, YOU can help. Your VOTE can help us win a grant to send people of color to Providence for Netroots Nation 2012.
Last year at NN11, I met and became close friends with Lauren Reichelt (aka “TheFatLadySings“).…
In late November of this year, the Michigan Supreme Court issued a tersely worded order (pdf) that said simply this: On order of the Court, the application for leave to appeal the July 19, 2011 judgment of the Court of Appeals is considered, and it is DENIED, because we are not persuaded that the questions presented should be reviewed by this Court.
This order was in regards to the case Rebecca Williams Jackson v. Mecosta County Medical Center, et. al.. The order told the plaintiff, Rebecca Jackson, that the Michigan Supreme Court was refusing to hear her appeal. Not a big deal for most of us and chances are good that you never heard of Rebecca Jackson or her court case and appeal.…
I realize you have probably seen this all over the innernetz and I apologize. However, I am contractually obligated as a progressive liberal blogger to have it on my blog.
I give you: Rick Perry, Brokeback Texan.
Yes, the jacket Rick Perry wore in his anti-gay, homophobic, anti-Obama campaign ad was the exact same one as Heath Ledger wore in his role as gay cowboy Ennis Del Mar.
And, with that, kids, we have a wrap.…
With the news that Michigan Republicans are already writing legislation to replace the Emergency Manager law if it is stopped by the referendum petition drive being conducted by Michigan Forward, many of us are concerned that they will put an appropriation into the bill. If this is done, it will make the law “referendum-proof” because Michigan law prohibits referendums on bills with appropriations (money set aside for some particular use.)
These are worthy fears since the GOP has already done this on a number of occasions this year. For example, in the bill to “reform” Michigan’s no-fault auto insurance rules, there is a $50,000 appropriation.…
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @thinkprogress: What a Republican-controlled Senate would mean for the climate http://t.co/gpdnmVkcRc http://t.co/SHstGGJBst about 5 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @jricole: Are solar power forecasts too pessimistic? Analysts missed by 59% in the past 4 years... http://t.co/xKqQKtA1fO about 5 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheMillennial_: http://t.co/HZacqCaIjL about 5 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I'm shocked the guy who set the record for leading the most filibusters would ever try to stop anyone from voting. http://t.co/hz3w2tZuNP about 5 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Halloween proves that America can put our differences aside to to work together for the cause of increasing childhood diabetes. about 5 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite