I wrote recently how a recent audit of Benton Harbor’s finances revealed that they not only are not out of debt, they still have a sizable deficit. Michigan Citizen has more on this with interesting commentary from Detroit accountant Greg Frazier. What Frazier says suggests that Joe Harris, so-called savior of Benton Harbor, is actually a crappy accountant.
This is from the terrific blog Defend Wisconsin
Turns out that the pro-Walker billboard sits in front of a Janesville, Wisconsin GM plant that was closed in 2008.…
This morning I wrote about Perry schools being threatened with a state takeover, a city in a county with only 0.5% African Americans.
They aren’t the only ones.
Suttons Bay is in the “Pinky” of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. The Suttons Bay school district is facing an Emergency Manager, as well.
With this funding shortfall, Murray says he has no choice and will be asking the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians for $400,000.…
Here’s the agenda of the meetings (unless Brown modifies it):
- Call to Order by the Council President
- Roll Call by the City Clerk
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Presentation of Minutes
- Report by the Emergency Manager and/or his designee(s)
- Council Questions and Answers
- Closing Comments by the Emergency Manager
- Public Comment
In other words, Brown is allowing the Council members to open the meeting, ask questions and adjourn the meeting. Not too different from what Benton Harbor Emergency Manager Joe Harris did when he issued an order allowing City Commissioners to (1) call the meeting to order, (2) approve meeting minutes, and (3) adjourn the meeting.…
Not unexpected, just another drop in a torrent: Governor Rick Snyder has declared a financial emergency in Highland Park, and will appoint an Emergency Manager.
The latter, State Superintendent Mike Flanagan and State Treasury Andy Dillon said, is being done in order to avoid the district’s financial crisis affecting children.
“Most troubling to me is that this is a temporary fix,” Dillon said of the cash advance, which he said will carry the district through Feb.…
Much of the outrage about Public Act 4, the Emergency Manager law centers around its disparate impact on minority school districts and cities. But this law may be coming to city or school near you even if it’s not a so-called “majority minority” area. Take a look at the data that was assembled by Progress Michigan to see how obvious that is.
This week, Perry Schools announced that it will run out of money before the end of the year. According to an article in the Argus-Press (not available online without a subscription), Perry Schools face a $1 million deficit in their budget.…
At the moment, as egregious as the Citizens United Supreme Court decision was, it’s still illegal for corporations to give directly to candidates or political parties. If the GOP has its way, that will end.
The GOP brief filed with a federal appeals court contends that the ban which became law back in 1908 violates the First Amendment in light of recent Supreme Court rulings, including the 2010 Citizens United decision which allowed unlimited donations to independent-expenditure groups.…
There were some interesting revelations in statements made to day by Jay Carney, President Obama’s Press Secretary relating the Keystone XL oil pipeline. Recall that in the bill to extend the middle class income tax break, Republicans put in a requirement that he give his ruling on it by next month. Follow me over the orange squiggledegibbet for what went down at this afternoon’s presser.
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @NedRaggett: A story recommended by @mountain_goats, as remarkable as he said it would be. http://t.co/qmUBwrkhLJ about 19 minutes ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYCLU: We mourn the senseless murder of Officer Wenjian Liu and Officer Rafael Ramos. Our thoughts are with their families. about 10 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Obama's Cuba policy can't work! - the people who created a flawless democracy in Iraq with no costs whatsoever about 15 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MattBors: Our Legal System is Fair and Great https://t.co/qDg2imezA9 http://t.co/65WZjaUBIh about 15 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Wilma's sad you're not following @darth http://t.co/5sGx4b3Epa about 15 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite