For-profit government? I don't think so.Earlier this week, Newark, New Jersey mayor Cory Booker responded to an Obama campaign ad pointing out that Mitt Romney is running on his experience as a business person and explaining what that, in fact, means. He called the ad "nauseating" and "a distraction". President Obama responded eloquently. [Video and transcript and more after the jump.]
"It's time not to fight back, but to fight forward"Next Monday is Memorial Day in the USA, a day to remember those who gave their lives to defend our country and our democracy. On that day, a coalition of civil rights, labor, and faith leaders from around the state are staging another memorial: the death of democracy in Michigan. [More after the jump...]
Michigan’s Emergency Manager meetings not subject to Open Meetings Act, opponent faces federal indictments
Things are NOT getting betterToday, the State Court of Appeals ruled that the review teams that recommended Emergency Managers for Detroit and Flint were not subject to the Open Meetings Act. The court ruled that they are not a "governing body" so they are exempt from the requirement. [More after the jump...]
Back in the saddle again...Regular readers may have noticed that blogging has been light for the past few days. Both of my kids graduated from college this past weekend so Saturday morning found us at the Cleveland Institute of Music watching Arleigh graduate from graduate school (she's a bassoonist.) Then it was off to Ithaca, New York to watch Cameron graduate with an undergraduate degree in film making from Ithaca College... [More...]
The era of the big middle class is over
Mitt Romney is now delving into science fiction. After a successful hostile takeover of the tea party and what remains of the Republican Party, he’s convinced he is ready for his greatest illusion: convincing America that what we need is George W. Bush on Steroids.
He’s so confident he made an ad in which he calls himself President Romney over and over. He also describes what he’d do on day one of the Romney administration, presumably after he marks his territory in the Oval Office.
Based on his Day One promises, Mitt’s first day would be a nightmare for the middle class.…
Yes, I’m asking for your money againYes, yes, yes. It's that time again. Time for the awesomeness that is Netroots for the Troops®. Wait, you don't know what NFTT is? NFTT is a what I call "The 33-Minute Miracle". I'll tell you why in a minute. Every year at the annual Netroots Nation conference, the largest event of the year for progressive blogggers, writers and activists, a group of dedicated individuals pull of an major service event where hundreds of CARE packages are assembled and then shipped to our troops over seas. This year, we're including some vets that are in U.S. hospitals, returned from war. You can help by making a donation HERE. (Much more after the jump.)
Oh, how subtle...Following up on a story I wrote about yesterday ("'Democrat' Roy Schmidt pulls ultimate dick move, jumps to GOP too late for another Dem to run"), we now learn there is much more to this story and House Speaker Jase Bolger is implicated.
Buy us a beer?
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @nytimesbooks: The Voting Rights Act is 50 years old. Ari Berman's narrative history looks at the continuing efforts to weaken it: http:… about 5 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @mtodd913: Conservatives’ ingenious 50-year war on voting rights proves they must never be underestimated http://t.co/0VIKYm7zvm about 5 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NationalMemo: They laughed at Mussolini and he wasn't even wearing a goofy hat. http://t.co/2Tvq78MxpJ http://t.co/RsojshE9HO about 5 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MikeGrunwald: Somebody storified my Katrina rant. Thank you all for letting me vent. https://t.co/dy0MhukjzM about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Sure, Christie can say 1 awful dehumanizing thing about immigrants. But does he have discipline to do often enough to impress the GOP base? about 6 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite