A couple of weeks ago, Michigan Radio reported that Benton Harbor mayor-elect James Hightower held an informational meeting for City Commissioners and Benton Harbor City department heads to prepare for the departure of Emergency Manager Joe Harris. A further story today suggests that Hightower and the newly elected commissioners are taking the return of their city to democratic rule very seriously and are intent on ensuring that Benton Harbor doesn’t follow the same path as other Michigan cities that once had Emergency Managers. As I reported last week, all three cities that once had EMs are again in financial trouble; Flint, Hamtramck , and Highland Park.…
I’m pleased to be able to announce that I am teaming up with Christine Barry, owner of Blogging for Michigan and Tony Trupiano, host of First Shift with Tony Trupiano to do a weekly segment on First Shift. The segment, called “Blog Role”, will focus on the Michigan blogosphere and what bloggers in our state are working on writing about.
From Christine’s post at BfM:
While the rest of the world laughs at the United States for even entertaining the idea that a person like Newt Gingrich is qualified to be president, he raises the level of his stupidity and pandering insipidity to eleven:
Gingrich: She is certainly one of the people you would look at. I am a great admirer of hers and she was a remarkable reform governor of Alaska, she’s somebody who I think brings a great deal to the possibility of helping in government and that would be one of the possibilities.…
Just so we are all clear on this, if Newt Gingrich were to become president, this woman, Calista Gingrich, would be the First Lady of the United States of America.
You know, instead of Michelle Obama.
Photo by Anne C. Savage
Sorry to be superficial but I think you can tell a lot by looking at a person’s eyes and by the person they choose to spend their lives with.…
Gotta love this headline in the Detroit News this morning:
Sounds good, right? Here’s the thing: the only people “praising” the Michigan Republicans in the article are Michigan Republicans. But Michigan Republicans, I must say, think Michigan Republicans are totally freaking awesome.
The closest you get to praise are these to bits:
Nothing about “reform bills” there.…
If you followed my writing about Ace the pit bull from Detroit, you know that there are as many as 50,000 stray dogs in Detroit, most of them pit bulls. Detroit Dog Rescue (DDR) puts the number at 50,000-100,000. The Detroit Animal Control Center simply cannot handle even a portion of this number of animals. Dogs that are brought there are held for four days to give the owner a chance to show sufficient proof that the dog is theirs and take it home.
Most dogs go unclaimed and are euthanized, over 90% according to DDR.
This week, dog rescuers in southeastern Michigan got some nearly miraculous news.…
This is a public service announcement from the Eclectablog Online Media Group (OMG):
A week ago tomorrow, while everyone was getting ready for the holidays and not paying that much attention, THE REPUBLICANS TOTALLY CAVED IN TO THE DEMOCRATS!
Image courtesy of Daily Kos
I just wanted to be sure we don’t forget that because it seems to me that we already have. Dave Weigel may have tweeted it best:
So, please, every chance you get, remind your friends, family, neighbors and coworkers that the GOP hostage-takers finally were forced to back down because President Obama and the Democrats in Congress wouldn’t let them take us off a cliff.…
I traveled to Europe in the waning days of the 2008 election and, in fact, wrote a piece for Huffington Post about my experience including watching the last presidential debate between at 3:00 a.m in a little hotel in Gemona, Italy.
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @deanbarker: Guys, we were wrong about Mr. Brown's ignorance of #SullivanCounty. He was talking about Mt. Sunapee skiiing! ...in Merr… about 1 hour ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @andreagrimes: Unsure how to talk to your fellow DUDE SIRS about not threatening to rape women on YouTube? HERE I AM WITH THE ASSIST htt… about 8 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Sorry, I only get my Ebola science from the channel that spent half a year showing me boats searching for an airliner in the ocean. about 8 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ninaturner: Are you ready to #MeetMeAtTheBox? Join #TeamTurner in #Akron, #Canton, or #Cleveland this weekend! http://t.co/PVzDv610W9 about 8 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Eclectablog: Big Picture: Rick Snyder & Taxes - A visual exploration of how Snyder has paid for corp. tax cuts (by @Anne_Savage) http:/… about 8 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite