by starting your shopping here. Just click this link!
By Eclectablog on July 27, 2012 in Benton Harbor, Emergency Manager Law, Emergency Managers, Joe Harris
Irony this large needs a zip codeIn what may be one of the most ironic stories of the year so far, Joe Harris says he's being forced out of his position as the Emergency Manager of Benton Harbor. Gee, Joe, I wonder what it's like to lose power as a person in charge in that town? I guess you could as the Benton Harbor City Commissioners. They'd certainly know since you were the one who forced them out of power. More after the jump.
Michigan GOP circles the wagons to protect Speaker Bolger, Ouimet uses House email to campaign (UPDATED)
Apparently unethical behavior is A-OKAY for Michigan RepublicansI recently asked Eclectablog readers in Michigan to contact their Republican Representatives and ask them to demand the resignation of Jase Bolger from his position as Speaker of the House. After seeing responses from a number of Michigan Republican lawmakers, it's clear that they are circling the wagons to protect Speaker Bolger. It's also clear, based on some repeated boilerplate language, that they have been instructed in how this effort. And, interestingly, my own Representative, Mark Ouimet, used his House email account to disparage his Democratic "opponent", Saline Mayor Gretchen Driskell, in clear violation of Michigan election law.
Michigan GOP Senator Mike Kowall’s hypocrisy on government investment in infrastructure during Romney campaign event
Government investment is good! No , it's BAD! Wait...Republican state Senator Mike Kowall took to the stage this past week as part of Romney's Obama Misrepresentation & Distortion Tour, touting his family business. Though Romney's OMD Tour barely made a splash in the media, they did get one article in the Oakland Press where Kowall is quoted as saying "We're the ones who helped pay to put in the sewers, we helped pay to put in water extensions, and promoted a lot of growth in the area. It wasn't something that was done by government, it wasn't something that government came by and said they were going to do for us." It's an interesting comment in light of Kowall's past statement about government investments in infrastructure.
What, you didn't think we'd notice?I received emails and phone calls this afternoon from Representatives Lisa Brown and Barb Byrum letting me know that Senate Republicans snuck in a last-minute notice that they will take up the anti-Choice H.B. 5711 tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. The hearing will take place at 10:00am in Room 110, Farnum Building, 125 W. Allegan, Lansing. Details after the jump.
What if killing off ALL of Michigan’s ballot initiatives is exactly what those in power want? (UPDATED)
I didn't see that one coming at allThis wrote about Michigan Secretary of State Ruth Johnson's brief to the Michigan Supreme Court in which she says that if the petitions to repeal Public Act 4 are insufficient to meet the rules set out in our state constitution, the so are ALL of the other ballot initiative's petitions. My comment in that post was that "gives me hope" and I suggested that this was an unintended and undesirable side effect of this court challenge. I'm having second thoughts on that.
Buy us a beer?
LOLGOP on Twitter
- Regardless, conservatives will say we don't need laws to fight gun deaths but laws must stop the scourge of women getting basic health care. about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I'd like to announce that I've become a viral teen conservative YouTube sensation. Let the healing begin! about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @emptywheel: Planned Parenthood, holding itself to higher standard of evidence than majority of US Congress. https://t.co/aXxesGCPoW about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @DanaHoule: So, it’s looking like conservatives’ take is “no way this shooter is targeting the murderers at Planned Parenthood!” about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @lizzwinstead: We've got to stand up for these clinics & these doctors & stop caving into the demands put on the providers and patients … about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Subscribe to Eclectablog
Be notified when new posts are added!
Subscribe to a daily digest
Click HERE to receive one email per day around 5 p.m. ET with links to all of the Eclectablog posts from the past 24 hours.