Last January, a federal appeals court struck down rules promulgated by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) that ensure net neutrality, the idea that internet service providers should not regulate access to the internet by allowing some customers to get better, faster, and/or more reliable access through pricing arrangements or other deals. It’s a big deal because the ability of small internet start-up companies to succeed could be inhibited if their competitors were given preferential treatment. There is also the very real threat that the information you can access on the internet could be controlled, preventing users from access some types of information or websites.…
In 2012, Bridget Mary McCormack got the cast of the West Wing to do a video for her to remind people to vote on the Non-Partisan ballot. She had an “in” with them since her sister Mary McCormack played Deputy National Security Advisor and ex-CIA officer Kate Harper. The video went insanely viral and has had over 1 million views.
They also cut a version of the video that doesn’t mention Bridget Mary McCormack and I thought it would be worth sharing again ahead of tomorrow’s election.
The Michigan Democratic Party has endorsed three Supreme Court candidates: Richard Bernstein, Deborah Thomas (read my interview with her HERE), and William Murphy.…
Although I has unable to attend yesterday’s “street trial” of Foreclosure Vulture, Republican David Trott, my friend Katie Jacob was able to attend and sent me some photos and video of the event.
There has been very little coverage of this event except for one article. I’m told Trott was seen leaving his office through a back exit to avoid being seen by the protesters or the media who were there to cover it.
Trott’s Democratic opponent for the 11th Congressional seat, Bobby McKenzie, released his first ad yesterday and the Washington Post calls it “one of the most brutal attack ads you’ll ever see”.…
Bobby McKenzie, the Democratic candidate for Congress in Michigan’s 11th District is up with his first ad this cycle and it’s a doozy. It is a hard-hitting ad that shows what it looks like when Republican David Trott evicts people, in this case an elderly woman, from their home:
Here’s a statement from the McKenzie campaign released with the video:
VIDEO: Dem candidate for Attorney General Mark Totten releases 2nd ad highlighting Bill Schuette’s extremist record
Mark Totten, the Democratic candidate for Michigan Attorney General, has released his second television ad of the election cycle. Titled “One Thing”, it goes after Republican Bill Schuette for his crusade to push his ultra-right wing, partisan agenda:
The ad focuses on three specific things Schuette has done:
- As the first attorney general to join Hobby Lobby v. Sebelius, Bill Schuette fought to allow employers to deny employees insurance coverage for contraception.
- Bill Schuette led a lawsuit to deny Michigan families federal tax credits for purchasing healthcare, which could raise taxes on half a million Michigan families by $5,000.
- While in the state senate, Bill Schuette sponsored and championed Michigan’s drug immunity law, which makes Michigan the only state in the nation where people can’t recover damages for drugs that harm or kill, denying justice to victims and families, and costing the taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.
[This post has been updated to indicate that this is MaydayPAC’s second ad in MI-06.]
Last week, broke the news that the citizen-funded MaydayPAC is planning to spend $1.5 million to defeat far-right Republican Congressman Fred Upton and to ensure that Paul Clements is the first Democrat to hold the seat in 21 years.
Today, they released their second ad:
The ad will run on broadcast and cable.
And, in case you missed it, here’s their first ad:
So much awesomeness in one short video from RockTheVote.org:
Why are YOU turning out to vote on November 4th?…
At Netroots Nation 2014, I explained why I think Obamacare is a winning issue for Democrats — and what we can do to help.
It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare. And I’m a firm believer that Obamacare is a winning issue for Democrats.
To make the case for this, I had the honor of being one of the speakers chosen to present an Ignite talk at Netroots Nation in Detroit as part of the closing keynote session. The Ignite format works like this: You have five minutes to speak, accompanied by 20 slides that advance automatically every 15 seconds.…
VIDEO: MI-01 Congressman Dan Benishek refuses to say if he’ll pledge not to vote to shutdown the government while aide tries to grab camera
It’s tough being a member of Congress. Your constituents are always up in your grill, holding you accountable for your votes, and wanting answers. “Do you support this bill?” “Why did you vote this way?” “Why did you vote that way?” “Will you try to shut down the government of the United States of America to prove a political point about immigration?”
That last one was a question asked of Congressman Dan Benishek this past week by someone with a video camera as he left a blood drive in Sault Ste. Marie in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. They spent over a minute walking next to him, asking him if he would pledge not to vote to shutdown the government.…
Sandra Fluke was thrust onto the national stage when she was visciously attacked on the radio airwaves by odious bloviator Rush Limbaugh. Now a state senate candidate in California, Fluke is a rising star in the Democratic Party. But, like so many of us, she knows we have a big problem in this country: too few young people are voting which means their important voice isn’t being heard in the political arena and, as a result, their views are less likely to be represented in our local, state, and federal governments.
Fluke released a video recently that is aimed squarely between the eyes of young voters.…
Amazon.com shopping here:
LOLGOP on Twitter
- I'm proud to be a part of @eclectablog. I hope you'll donate to help keep it growing if you can. http://t.co/hx104T27Gc about 44 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JillDLawrence: As a modern Abigail Adams would say, remember the women. At the very least we can bear witness. http://t.co/Qkso403kkT #… about 1 hour ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ryanjreilly: Here’s the DOJ Inspector General on @SharylAttkisson’s hacking allegation / stuck delete key problem: http://t.co/IhjLwyCp… about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HalfinTen: Only 40-50% of workers have access to employer-based retirement savings plans, and rest don’t open IRA accounts http://t.co/… about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Why are people taking medical advice from Jenny McCarthy?! asked the guys who put Jim Inhofe in charge of the Senate Environment Committee about 3 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite