Last night we had a amazing fundraising event for an amazing women who is an amazing candidate and will do an amazing job being and amazing state legislator – Betsy Coffia. She’s raised roughly $60,000, all from small donors. The average donor to her campaign is around $90. Most of her donors give her $5, $10, $25, $50.
It’s the same here at Eclectablog, frankly. We don’t have a whole lot of “big donors”. What we have is a whole lotta people who care enough about what we do here to chip in to make sure we can keep doing it, to expand, to constantly improve.…
I’m the new kid on the block here at Eclectablog, but not in any way new to Eclectablog. During the four years that have used Eclectablog as a resource for my radio show, and then when founder Chris Savage joined me as a regular guest not long into my most recent incarnation in radio, I came to respect his journalistic skills and commitment to telling a story correctly. But, not just that: most importantly is his telling the stories most media outlets ignore. I was not just a fan but also a devotee. I am also thrilled, blessed even, that I can call Chris and Anne Savage good friends.…
Support Eclectablog and help the rebel alliance reveal the plans to the Koch-funded Death Star
We noticed that you completely ignored our messages entitled “Our flesh is literally on fire with need,” “Nate Silver just pronounced us dead,” “Rand Paul says you have Ebola,” “Why are they pooping on our Obamacare?” and “Never going to give you up (DON’T DELETE).”
The truth is that in the last four years our campaign finance system has been shattered by a series of Supreme Court decisions that have undermined the role of an independent judiciary and unleashed a tsunami of lies funded by independent expenditures.…
Seriously, that’s all it takes: 60 seconds.
Yeah, I know. If you’re like me, headlines like this make you wince. Especially at this point in the campaign cycle. My inbox is overflowing, too.
But there’s a good reason campaigns ask for donations: They need your help to get the job done. Just like Eclectablog.
So I’ll make this quick. Eclectablog’s biggest supporters are you, our readers. We literally wouldn’t be here without you.
It doesn’t take a lot. Just a few bucks can make a big difference. And the best part? We only bug you about this four times a year.…
There’s a dirty secret that nobody likes to talk about in the liberal blogosphere: most liberal/progressive websites don’t pay their writers. Even some big sites that you’d expect bring in a fair amount of revenue operate using a model that counts on free content from authors. Even the BIGGEST site, Daily Kos, pays only their front page writers. The vast majority of the posts on the site are provided without compensation.
This model can work for sites like Daily Kos that provide writers with an audience that they would not normally have. They offer writers a way to get their name and voice out there, hopefully leading to something more later.…
Photo by Anne C. Savage, special to Eclectablog
We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished here at Eclectablog. What started as the random, eclectic musings of a wannabe writer has turned into something so much more. People tell me on a regular basis that Eclectablog is one of their “must visit” sites every day so that they can stay abreast of what’s happening in Michigan and for insightful commentary on national issues.
Why? Because we offer something a bit different than any other site. Here are three things that set us apart:
1. We break news stories that other sites and news outlets pick up later
Here are some of the stories that you read about first on Eclectablog this past year:
- BREAKING: Half of Michigan State Board of Education comes out against expansion of the EAA
- BREAKING: The NERD Fund is back – Snyder administration faces charges of nepotism and corruption
- BREAKING: Dick DeVos threatening Republicans who don’t support EAA expansion with massive financial support of primary opponents
- BREAKING: Mackinac Center using public school email system to encourage teachers to leave their union
- BREAKING: Education Achievement Authority sending out deceptive letters to poach students from other districts
- BREAKING: Crowd-funded SuperPAC to spend $1.5 million to help Paul Clements unseat Fred Upton
- BREAKING: More cronyism in the Snyder administration: Bill Schuette has given his former law firm nearly $2 million in state business
On an average day, roughly 5,000 people stop by Eclectablog. Sometimes it’s a bit less and, when we do something that REALLY gets attention, it’s way more.
That’s a lot of people who are better informed because of the work we do here. Whether it’s breaking news that you haven’t seen elsewhere like today’s piece on cronyism in the state Attorney General’s office, holding Republicans accountable for their shenanigans, or giving you a fresh perspective on state and national issues, Eclectablog is unparalleled in its scope.
What we don’t do is hide behind a paywall. Instead, we put our stuff out there and then, for a week every quarter, we ask you to put a price tag on the value you get here and, to quote Beyoncé, “put a ring on it”.…
DONATE: Josh Derke, the Michigan Dem who epically smacked down homophobic, anti-gay group now has a fundraising page
A couple of days ago I wrote about the letter Josh Derke, candidate for Michigan’s 93rd House District sent to the anti-gay, ragingly homophobic leader of the group “Public Advocate of the United States”. It was an epic, eloquent smack down and the piece has gone viral getting over 11,500 hits as of this morning. The cross-posted version at Daily Kos got an untold number of hits as it spent most of the day at the top of the Recommended List.
Josh now has a fundraising page up at JoshDerke.ruck.us.
Please stop over and drop some folding money into Josh’s tip jar so that he can defeat his Republican opponent.…
A big thank you to everyone who has contributed during this quarter’s fundraiser. It’s been a bit quieter than usual. Hopefully that’s a sign that everyone is tapped out giving to their favorite Democratic Party candidates and not that you’re not getting value out of the work we do here at Eclectablog. Judging by site traffic, it appears that you DO enjoy our work – we just surpassed 5 million visitors this past quarter. That’s a pretty huge milestone.
If you’d like to join those who find what we do here at Eclectablog worthy of supporting financially, there are three ways to help.…
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @DanielLarison: I don't think Rubio realizes that he comes across as unhinged on this issue. He's certainly not persuading anyone about 57 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's pretty tough to call Rand Paul clueless about something and be wrong, but Marco Rubio managed! http://t.co/w5gqsxuw8S about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Carly Fiorina staffs up for layoffs. about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @jonallendc: "would be the first president who organized overseas tax havens for billionaire Benedict Arnolds" @PaulBegala on Jeb http:… about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @politicalwire: Transgender Workers Get Civil Rights Protections http://t.co/8r5X7Jee9C via @rollcall about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite