Last night we had a amazing fundraising event for an amazing women who is an amazing candidate and will do an amazing job being and amazing state legislator – Betsy Coffia. She’s raised roughly $60,000, all from small donors. The average donor to her campaign is around $90. Most of her donors give her $5, $10, $25, $50.
It’s the same here at Eclectablog, frankly. We don’t have a whole lot of “big donors”. What we have is a whole lotta people who care enough about what we do here to chip in to make sure we can keep doing it, to expand, to constantly improve.…
I’m the new kid on the block here at Eclectablog, but not in any way new to Eclectablog. During the four years that have used Eclectablog as a resource for my radio show, and then when founder Chris Savage joined me as a regular guest not long into my most recent incarnation in radio, I came to respect his journalistic skills and commitment to telling a story correctly. But, not just that: most importantly is his telling the stories most media outlets ignore. I was not just a fan but also a devotee. I am also thrilled, blessed even, that I can call Chris and Anne Savage good friends.…
Support Eclectablog and help the rebel alliance reveal the plans to the Koch-funded Death Star
We noticed that you completely ignored our messages entitled “Our flesh is literally on fire with need,” “Nate Silver just pronounced us dead,” “Rand Paul says you have Ebola,” “Why are they pooping on our Obamacare?” and “Never going to give you up (DON’T DELETE).”
The truth is that in the last four years our campaign finance system has been shattered by a series of Supreme Court decisions that have undermined the role of an independent judiciary and unleashed a tsunami of lies funded by independent expenditures.…
Seriously, that’s all it takes: 60 seconds.
Yeah, I know. If you’re like me, headlines like this make you wince. Especially at this point in the campaign cycle. My inbox is overflowing, too.
But there’s a good reason campaigns ask for donations: They need your help to get the job done. Just like Eclectablog.
So I’ll make this quick. Eclectablog’s biggest supporters are you, our readers. We literally wouldn’t be here without you.
It doesn’t take a lot. Just a few bucks can make a big difference. And the best part? We only bug you about this four times a year.…
There’s a dirty secret that nobody likes to talk about in the liberal blogosphere: most liberal/progressive websites don’t pay their writers. Even some big sites that you’d expect bring in a fair amount of revenue operate using a model that counts on free content from authors. Even the BIGGEST site, Daily Kos, pays only their front page writers. The vast majority of the posts on the site are provided without compensation.
This model can work for sites like Daily Kos that provide writers with an audience that they would not normally have. They offer writers a way to get their name and voice out there, hopefully leading to something more later.…
Photo by Anne C. Savage, special to Eclectablog
We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished here at Eclectablog. What started as the random, eclectic musings of a wannabe writer has turned into something so much more. People tell me on a regular basis that Eclectablog is one of their “must visit” sites every day so that they can stay abreast of what’s happening in Michigan and for insightful commentary on national issues.
Why? Because we offer something a bit different than any other site. Here are three things that set us apart:
1. We break news stories that other sites and news outlets pick up later
Here are some of the stories that you read about first on Eclectablog this past year:
- BREAKING: Half of Michigan State Board of Education comes out against expansion of the EAA
- BREAKING: The NERD Fund is back – Snyder administration faces charges of nepotism and corruption
- BREAKING: Dick DeVos threatening Republicans who don’t support EAA expansion with massive financial support of primary opponents
- BREAKING: Mackinac Center using public school email system to encourage teachers to leave their union
- BREAKING: Education Achievement Authority sending out deceptive letters to poach students from other districts
- BREAKING: Crowd-funded SuperPAC to spend $1.5 million to help Paul Clements unseat Fred Upton
- BREAKING: More cronyism in the Snyder administration: Bill Schuette has given his former law firm nearly $2 million in state business
On an average day, roughly 5,000 people stop by Eclectablog. Sometimes it’s a bit less and, when we do something that REALLY gets attention, it’s way more.
That’s a lot of people who are better informed because of the work we do here. Whether it’s breaking news that you haven’t seen elsewhere like today’s piece on cronyism in the state Attorney General’s office, holding Republicans accountable for their shenanigans, or giving you a fresh perspective on state and national issues, Eclectablog is unparalleled in its scope.
What we don’t do is hide behind a paywall. Instead, we put our stuff out there and then, for a week every quarter, we ask you to put a price tag on the value you get here and, to quote Beyoncé, “put a ring on it”.…
I am excited to announce the latest addition to our team at Eclectablog, my dear friend Tony Trupiano. I first met Tony shortly after he returned to the radio airwaves after an unsuccessful run to unseat Thad McCotter in Congress. Tony’s morning radio show, First Shift with Tony Trupiano, was a progressive breath of fresh air amidst the plethora of right wing radio hosts. The show later changed to an evening radio program, Night Shift with Tony Trupiano, which ran until earlier this year when Tony threw his hat in the ring to run for the state House of Representatives in the 13th House District.…
Progressive – n. someone who believes the future can be better than the past
This giveaway is now closed.
The greatest irony of American life — besides the fact that states from the Old Confederacy are among most likely to be dependent on the federal government — is that the progressive movement was born in the Republican party.
The far right — led by pathological rantings Glenn Beck — has spent most of the Obama administration trying to demonize the P-word in the same way Reagan used the word “liberal” to conjure images of liberals reaching into your pocket to fund welfare queens and patchouli-soaked college dropouts.…
Amazon.com shopping here:
LOLGOP on Twitter
- Lorrie Moore is proof that God loves us and wants us to be ambivalent. http://t.co/tyzx1XJzgI about 3 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ThePlumLineGS: Must-read from @brianbeutler: Lawsuit against ACA has now become giant "X Files-style conspiracy theory": http://t.co/My… about 6 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The GOP's big contribution to health care reform? Making it worse, more expensive and crueler. http://t.co/d6ZEaPGA5G about 7 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @abbygoodnough: IN is latest GOP state to expand Medicaid, but if you don't pay premiums you may get fewer benefits or lose coverage: ht… about 9 minutes ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Republicans struggle to attack Obama economy they failed to sabotage and want to take credit for http://t.co/NXPaItcUIz about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite