You might have noticed we’re in a bit of a lazy mode at the moment after the election and the celebrations last weekend. Never fear: we’ll be back in frantic blogging mode soon enough. In the meantime, here’s another Open Thread with fun links for you and the kids.
- Crybabies in over 30 states have now filed basically identical petitions on the White House petition website asking to secede from the United States of America because their team lost. Texas has passed the threshold set by the White House that triggers a response from the U.S. government — 25,000 signatures within 30 days. My hope is that their response is along the lines of, “Your side lost. Deal with it. Now shut the hell up.” Or, “Bwahahahahahaaaa!!!” Or even, “Go right ahead.”
- Paul Ryan is in massive self-delusion mode and is absolutely certain most Americans agree with him about how to deal with the budget and Medicare. “I don’t think we lost it on those budget issues, especially on Medicare — we clearly didn’t lose it on those issues” Well, Paul, if it wasn’t your Party’s War on the Poor, maybe it was your War on Women or War on Non-Christians or War on Rape Victims or one of the other too-numerous-to-name issues on which the Republicans were so woefully out of touch with America. By the way, he also said, “I think the surprise was some of the turnout, especially in urban areas, which gave President Obama the big margin to win this race”. Or, as Crooks & Liars puts it “We lost because too many black people voted.”
- Some Republicans are suggesting compromise with Democrats. More accurately, they are suggesting that Democrats compromise with them. Even more accurately, they are suggesting that Democrats just do as they are told and then they will call that “compromise”. Goddess help us all if they are successful in this effort. Again.
- Grover Norquist the Irrelevant is losing adherents to his ridiculous tax pledge right and left. The election last week all but sealed the deal. He now has under 40 supporters in the Senate (below the filibuster threshold) and they’re in the minority in the House now, too. Did I mention that he’s irrelevant?
- Imagine Elizabeth Warren sitting on the Senate Banking Committee giving banksters the whut-whut. Now DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN!
- You know how those banksters have been buying debt for pennies on the dollar and then making a killing from it? Well, Occupy Wall Street types are doing the same thing except that they are forgiving the debt. They are going to hold a telethon (think Jerry Louis Labor Day Telethon for muscular dystrophy) and hope to raise $50,000 which will wipe out an astonishing $1 million in debt. The telethon is already sold out. Awesomeawesomeawesome.
- If Congress lets the country fall off the mythical “fiscal cliff”, who do you think most Americans will blame? If you said “Republicans”, you’d be right. Sorta puts President Obama and the Democrats in a nice negotiating position, doesn’t it?
- Finally, if you’re not already boycotting Papa John’s pizza because it sucks, maybe you’d consider boycotting it because it’s skabillionaire owner John Schnatter is one of the biggest douchenozzles in the country? He’s going to cut the hours of most of his employees to avoid having to pay for their healthcare. Why? Because Obamacare is going to lower his profits margins by less than a nickel a pie.
Your turn. What are you reading/talking about?